[MPlayer-users] recomended components for mplayer

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Thu Jan 2 16:45:38 CET 2003

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 00:10:33 +0200
Banu Cosmin <sharpcoder at xnet.ro> wrote:

> 	I have a similar configuration, and i'd like to know what's the best system
> configuration (not too cheap, not too expensive) to use with mplayer ( ...
> and linux in general for multimedia), so we can get the best from your
> player.
>
> 	I believe there are many people who want to know which is the best at the
> moment for home entertainment.

Ok,
Graphics card:
Fastest are Matrox G200 and later with -vo (x)mga
(note that the G200 is slightly slower than the others due
different picture format)
Then come all the cards which have a Xv driver, best is here to
choose either a Matrox (again :) or an ATI.
nvidia is the worse choice you can make.

CPU: Anything faster than a PII 400 should do it up to high res
divx (limit i got with a PII 400 and a G550 is at 720x480, can
be lower for other cards). Be aware that K6-II/III altough they
have the same CPU power are not so well suited as most of those
mainboard have a very poor I/O performance
(K6-II 350 on a ASUS P5A, ALI V chipset: 15MB/s to the craphic card,
PII 400 on a ASUS(dont remember which one), Intel 440BX chipset: 70MB/s,
both time messured with the same G200)

Soundcard: Any modern soundcard that has proper kernel driver
(alsa drivers work too, but are known to make slightly more problems)
Most ppl i know use a emu10k card (SB live etc),
so i think it's a save choice (but not the only one).

Hardisk: anything with fast drivers.
SCSI is better than IDE as the driver uses less CPU,
but it shouldnt matter that much as long as you use hdparm.

Note that i ordered the components by importance and
also that the faster your CPU and/or graphic card is, the lower
is the importance to have a fast soundcard or harddisk

			Attila Kinali

--
Emacs ist für mich kein Editor. Für mich ist das genau das gleiche, als wenn
ich nach einem Fahrrad (für die Sonntagbrötchen) frage und einen pangalaktischen