[MPlayer-users] Re: recomended components for mplayer

gabor farkas gabor at realtime.sk
Thu Jan 2 23:44:21 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 09:37:15AM -0600, Shaun Green wrote:
> > > Then come all the cards which have a Xv driver, best is here to
> > > choose either a Matrox (again :) or an ATI.
> > > nvidia is the worse choice you can make.
>
> Unfortunately though, almost all new computers these days from Dell and Gateway esp,
> ship with the Geforce NVidia class video cards in them, meaning that when the average
> Joe buys a computer, he won't get the best performance with mplayer out-of-the-box.
>
> It's too bad NVidia won't release the code to their drivers :o(( They've managed to
> corner the game market however, like Microshaft has done. So they can just do
> whatever they want since they sell them hand over fist!

<flame>
pliizz... can we stop this nvidia bashing ? :-)

yes, i'd love if nvidia would release the driver sources
yes, i know i can buy an ati or a matrox card.
yes, for watching movies i'd buy a matrox card.
no, i won't buy an ati or a matrox card, because sometimes i want to
play some 3d games, and there aren't any open-source drivers with fast
3d performance for fast 3d cards ( by fast cards i mean geforce3+,
ati8500+, matrox parhelia+ )...

and btw. look at the new/fast ati or matrox cards ( 8500, 9700, parhelia
)... they ONLY offer binary drivers :-))
</flame>

gabor

> Shaun

That's life for you, said McDunn.  Someone always waiting for someone
who never comes home.  Always someone loving something more than that
thing loves them.  And after awhile you want to destroy whatever
that thing is, so it can't hurt you no more.
                -- R. Bradbury, "The Fog Horn"