[MPlayer-users] Re: recomended components for mplayer

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 3 04:59:31 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 12:55:55AM +0100, gabor farkas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 06:18:02PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>  > yes, i'd love if nvidia would release the driver sources
> > > yes, i know i can buy an ati or a matrox card.
> > > yes, for watching movies i'd buy a matrox card.
> > > no, i won't buy an ati or a matrox card, because sometimes i want to
> > > play some 3d games, and there aren't any open-source drivers with fast
> > > 3d performance for fast 3d cards ( by fast cards i mean geforce3+,
> > > ati8500+, matrox parhelia+ )...
> >
> > Arrg, wtf is the point, are you playing the stupid games on linux
> > anyway?? If you're dual booting you'd be much better off to use the
> > sorry nvidia box for doze and get a nice cheap k6 or duron with a g200
> > or g400 for linux.
>
> something more:
>
> if you want to have a fast 3d card under linux you need a nvidia card.

My point is that there's little point for such a thing. All they're
good for is playing the (virtually nonexistent) proprietary games that
have been ported.

> so face it: the only company that cares for linux 3d users, is nvidia.
> and i'm not joking.

Irrelevant. I don't care whether they care about linux 3d support. I
care whether they respect free software and treat their users like
people rather than things to be exploited. Nvidia sucks. Period. Can
we end this already?

Rich