[MPlayer-users] Questions about spdif/toslink (was: Mplayer/ogm/ogg)

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Fri Jan 3 21:07:32 CET 2003

Am Donnerstag, 2. Januar 2003 17.54 schrieb Robert R. Wal:
> On 03.01.02 Arpi pressed the following keys:
> > hmm. dunno about the amplifiers, they may not support it...
> > but the standard LPCM header has the space for up to 8 channels:
> But what worries me is the speed of spdif/toslink connection.
>
> I was under the impression that this standard was designed for
> 48kHz/16bit digital audio in times when no one was thinking about the
> buffers, headroom for future development etc.

To my knowledge, PCM over S/PDIF is limited to stereo. The channel
numbers where probably meant to transport a quadraphonic or surround
signal over _multiple_ cables. This would untie the audio channels from
the cables, thus adding flexibility.

BTW: MPEG is a nono as well. Their are an astonishing high number of
installations, which support Dolby Digital Surround, but MPEG Stereo
only. DTS is not available anywhere, too (and we can't encode it anyway
;-)

--
                     _ ___      http://www.p2501.ch/             / \
|/  /\   /\   /\  | \   |  |    christof at buergi.lugs.ch          \ /
|\ /--\ /  \ /  \ | /_  |  |    Master of unrealistic idealism    x
                                Say NO to HTML in mail and news  / \