[MPlayer-users] alsa9 with more than 2 channels

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Sat Jan 4 04:27:03 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 03:54, Carsten Schultz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does `-ao alsa9' work for anybody with more than two channels?
>
> With any card?  With an sblive?  Is any special configuration needed?

depends on how you define 'works' :-)))

basically doing this works:

mplayer -ao alsa9:surround40 -channels 4

or

mplayer -ao alsa9:surround51 -channels 6

it works for me ( the channels4 version tested with listening to it, the
channels6 without hearing it (i have a 4speaker-system )) with a
sblive5.1

but:

many people (at least 2) reported that when you seek in the file the
channels get mixed up somehow ( like middle switches with left etc)..

so i recommend you to use the oss driver ( the 'emu10k1' one, i'm not
talking about alsa-oss-emulation ), it's easier to setup and it works.
simply issue a:
mplayer -ao oss -channels 4
or
mplayer -ao oss -channels 6

bye,
gabor

p.s: or are any special reasons that u want to use alsa?