[MPlayer-users] How to output video to TV fullscreen (display overlay)?

Phillip Pi philpi at apu.edu
Sun Jan 5 12:04:23 CET 2003

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:06:27PM -0800, Phillip Pi wrote:

>>I tried it (mplayer -xineramascreen 1 -fs finding_nemo-tlr1_fs.mov).
>>Both monitor and TV went fullscreen, but I didn't want my monitor to
>>go fullscreen. I only wanted the TV so I can use the computer to work
>>on stuff during the video playback. Also, the TV doesn't show the whole
>>video (3/4th of it only shows). It cropped part of it.
>
>Then your TwinView configuration does not match your wishes.  You
>could start experimenting with something like
>Option "TwinView"
>Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
>Option "MetaModes" "640x480, 640x480"
>Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
>
>in the "Screen" section of XF86Config.  (I did not test that.)  You
>will have 640x480 on your monitor then, however.  Different
>resolutions on both screens are possible, but I do not know, if -fs
>will work with them without problems.

I tried your suggestion for MetaModes:
Primary display (Monitor): 1152x864 @ 1152x864
Secondary display (TV): 640x480 @ 640x480

I restarted X and tested it out with mplayer -xineramascreen 1 -fs
finding_nemo-tlr1_fs.mov command. It worked!

However, I was unable to minimize/iconify, move, etc. the video window on
my monitor. If I attempt to minimize/iconify, shade, etc. this video
window, then the result happens on TV as well. This window is always on
top so any programs I run (e.g., a Web browser) will be under this video
window. Please recall that I want to use my monitor to work on whatever.
Is there something I missed or is this a limitation?

P.S. Is it me or does Pine not like to quote posts in this mailing list?
:(
--
"I killed an ant, now all my relatives are afraid of me." --unknown
  /\___/\
   \ _ /                E-mail: philpi at apu.edu or philpi at earthlink.net
    ( )