[MPlayer-users] Again on 5.1 vorbis encoding

Alessio Sangalli alesan at manoweb.com
Sun Jan 5 21:24:31 CET 2003

I've read the relevant topics on the mailing list archives, and I think
the conclusion is that there are problems to playback a ogg file with
vorbis 5.1 audio if you use an external digital amplifier.

That's because you have a vorbis 5.1 stream and the amplifier only
understands ac3 audio. Mplayer can't (yet!?) convert realtime from
vorbis to ac3.

However, if the sound card already have the 5.1 outputs directly driven
(as many nowadays do, I have such an audio device integrated on the
motherboard) there should be no problems. Even in the cased you only
have stero speakers Mplayer should be able to downmix the 5.1 vorbis
audio (am I correct?).

Now what I ask is: understanding all the problems and limits of this
approach, how can I extract the 5.1 audio from a DVD title and encode it
into a vorbis file?

Will I be able to merge multiple audio streams in an OGM file? (for
example, english and german audio tracks) What if I merge 5.1 AND stereo
streams all together? (sometimes the english sound track is 5.1 and the
italian one is only stereo)

thank you and bye bye
as