[MPlayer-users] Re: Again on 5.1 vorbis encoding

marcogi at libero.it marcogi at libero.it
Mon Jan 6 00:32:10 CET 2003

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Alessio Sangalli wrote:

> I've got the idea. I'll try to encode in separate steps so I can
> compare
> the file sizes of the ac3, pcm, vorbis data in 5.1 and stereo modes.

I did this just yesterday. Here what I got:

$ du -m
205     stream.ac3
218     3.ogg
221     4.ogg
258     5.ogg

stream.ac3 is audio track from a DVD:

$ file stream.ac3
stream.ac3: ATSC A/52 aka AC-3 aka Dolby Digital stream, 48 kHz,,
complete main (CM) 3 front/2 rear, LFE on,, 384 kbit/s reserved Dolby
Surround mode

To encode ogg files I used:

for Q in 3 4 5; do
  oggenc -q $Q -C 6 -o $Q.ogg stream.wav
done

Intermediate wav file was about 2.5GB (generated using mplayer
-channels 6 -ao pcm ...).

--
Regards,  Marco Gigante
Student at Pisa University - Computer Engineering