[MPlayer-users] About future MPlayer developements (for Árpád Gereöffy if you have time !)

Eric NICOLAS nicolas00 at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 6 15:26:57 CET 2003

Hi,

I have read with great interest your presentation about MPlayer (http://mplayer.lgb.hu/index-en.html).

Although I agree with you about the problems with threading (cache miss, context-switch time cost, difficult debugging), I do not agree when you say that SMP is only for servers. First MPlayer will run one day on servers if you plan on doing a streaming server with it, and a single threaded application may become a problem at that time. Second I know many people (including me) having dual-CPU PCs at home.

Now I have a question about future developement of MPlayer which you don't address in your article. Do you plan on supporting Windows as a platform ? As you know, the players there are not great (Windows Media Player with all its spyware, RealOne the same, DivX player which crashes once every two files, etc...). And windows users would love to get a very good player like yours.

As I am a reasonably skilled developer, is that something I could plan on working on for you ? Do you think it is feasible or are there some major show stoppers for a Windows port of MPlayer ?

Thanks.