[MPlayer-users] Can't play realaudio file

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jan 8 00:49:22 CET 2003

> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 09:47:51PM -0500, Wm. Randolph Franklin wrote:
> >http://www.moosehill.com/steps/sounds/Radio-0212.ra
>
> That's not a stream-- that's just a RealIckyMedia file sitting on an
> HTTP server.  I suggest you use wget or curl to retrieve the file, then
> play it locally.
>
> Hm... still doesn't work.  I'm not sure whether MPlayer is able yet to
> handle RealAudio by itself (as opposed to audio+video together).

mplayer can play realaudio, at least the newer ones.
this file looks like some very very old thing, from pre-G2 times.
it uses the very old codec named 28_8 which is not even supported.
and it uses a bit different file format from the newer realmedia files,
this is why mplayer doesn't even recognizes it.

support for it can be added, but imho it doesn't worth the work, imho
you can find such files in very old archives only.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team