[MPlayer-users] qpel encoding

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jan 8 22:30:33 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 09:39:42PM +0100, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> How do I encode MPEG-4 video with qpel using mencoder?
>
> To my knowledge, the development version of xvid and ffmpeg should
> support them, but I didn't have much luck with either.
>
> xvid appears to work but I can't play back the streams.
> ffmpeg segfaults after a few frames.
>
> Is anyone aware of any way besides using Windoze to encode with quarter
> pixel precision?

-lavcopts qpel

BTW make sure you are using very latest CVS. qpel encoding isn't in
the release candidate and it was broken in CVS until yesterday. Also
you might wanna read the ffmpeg mailing list archives. There was a
very good test report posted by Rémi about a week ago that compared
encoding quality with different advanced options like qpel. Also read
DOCS/tech/libavc-options.txt!

Rich