[MPlayer-users] mjpeg and mencoder

Brad Barnett bb at L8R.net
Thu Jan 9 02:04:08 CET 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 02:00:23 +0100
Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] Hi
>
> On Wednesday 08 January 2003 18:35, Brad Barnett wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > >  -lavcopts vcodec=huffyuv:vstrict=-1
> > > but only libavcodec will be able to decode it later (use -vc
> > > ffhuffyuv)
> >
> > The recording works, but I can't seem to play it back, even with the
> > command above.
> great bugreport
>
> >  Anyhow, the file looked massive ;)  I think it was 200
> > megs for 2 minutes, which is a bit much.
> u could try to generate better huffman tables for it (just use 2pass
> encoding, first pass generates the tables, 2nd one uses them, u can do
> this with totally different videos for the 1st & 2nd pass too with
> huffyuv) it should save a few %, and a different prediction mode might
> allso save a tiny bit

I'd doing TV / Satelite capture.  I want a lossless method to capture,
that doesn't take 50 gigs / 2 hours.  Aside from that, if I can't do
lossless, I want next-to-lossless quality.  In both cases I'll be
re-encoding.

Why?  Because I can't do live TV capture unless I use mjpeg.  DIVX is just
too slow ;(  There are some things I want captured at 640x480 instead of
320x240 or what not :/