[MPlayer-users] mjpeg and mencoder

Brad Barnett bb at L8R.net
Thu Jan 9 15:46:31 CET 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 05:14:33 -0500
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:22:27AM +0100, Arpi
> wrote:
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> > DOCS/bugreports.html] Hi,

> > > I'd doing TV / Satelite capture.  I want a lossless method to
> > > capture, that doesn't take 50 gigs / 2 hours.  Aside from that, if I
> > > can't do
> >
> > you should either
> > - capture from DVB (digital TV/sat), they broadcast in ~6mbit/s mpeg2
>
> Agree.
>
> > - capture from analog TV/sat but using some noise removal filters at
> >   capturing time, then lossless compression will go better.
> >
> > for example -vop pp=dn:c:64:128:256 is a good start, but we definitly
> > need a better, pre-pixel noise filter, with motion compensation etc.
>
> :))
>
> > > Why?  Because I can't do live TV capture unless I use mjpeg.  DIVX
> > > is just too slow ;(  There are some things I want captured at
> > > 640x480 instead of 320x240 or what not :/
> > you shouldn't capture at 640x480...
> > and for any Y res >288 you should do deinterlacing too.
>
> 240 for NTSC. And I think he's trying to preserve the interlacing to
> encode to SVCD, so deinterlacing would just reduce quality.

You're right, I do want the interlacing.. but I don't plan to do SVCD... I
plan to just use my computer with a large hard drive as a DVR.  I works
well with smaller captures (320x240), but I'd really prefer to have
_above_ VHS quality when I output ;)

I can do the mjpeg without issues, and it looks GREAT with.. say...
vqscale=2, but it is quite large.  I don't mind reencoding to divx, but if
I do so, I'd hate to do MJPEG (loss) -> divx.

I was just hoping for something lossless for the intermediary format.
Looks like that's not here yet. :/

Oh well, mencoder rocks, I just want any of the development team to know
that!  I was using VCR before, and while it was great, it doesn't touch
the power of mencoder!

Thanks.