[MPlayer-users] mjpeg and mencoder

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 9 16:08:05 CET 2003

Hi,

> > you should either
> > - capture from DVB (digital TV/sat), they broadcast in ~6mbit/s mpeg2
> > - capture from analog TV/sat but using some noise removal filters at
> >   capturing time, then lossless compression will go better.
> >
> > for example -vop pp=dn:c:64:128:256 is a good start, but we definitly
> > need a better, pre-pixel noise filter, with motion compensation etc.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a lot of noise here.  After all, this is
> satelite.  Natureally there are mpeg2 artifacts, but they are very
> minimalistic.

so you have a DVB receiver, and an analog link form it to your PC's analog
tuner card? shit. you should consider buying a cheap DVB card to the pc and
record as-is the mpeg2. even a p100 can do that...

> > > Why?  Because I can't do live TV capture unless I use mjpeg.  DIVX is
> > > just too slow ;(  There are some things I want captured at 640x480
> > > instead of 320x240 or what not :/
> > you shouldn't capture at 640x480...
> > and for any Y res >288 you should do deinterlacing too.
>
> Why shouldn't I capture at 640x480?  I don't want to deinterlace, btw,
ok you should, _if_ you capture NTSC, and not PAL.

> these movies are to be played on a TV...
>
> I want the interlaced signal.
then forget ffmpeg's mjpeg, use ffmpeg's mpeg4 with I-only (keyint=0,
shouldn't be slower than mjpeg but it supports interlacing)

or implement interlacing support into ffmpeg's mjpeg.

or split frames to fields with -vop il=d

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team