[MPlayer-users] mencoder and -noaspect

Jean-Marc Stévenne jms at be.itmasters.com
Thu Jan 9 16:24:22 CET 2003

Hi,

Using mencoder 0.90pre8, 0.90pre10 or 0.90rc1 I ran in a strange problem when
trying to mencode the 7 Year in Tibet DVD zone 2. I use 3 phases encoding.
The sound was correctly encoded but during the process for every frame I had a
Skip frame!!!
warning.

On phase 2 (and 3), the Skip frame!!! warnings were of course there again but
this time it affected the resulting video. It looked like one line out of two
were encoded, also the first frame "ghost" seems to remain forever in the
following frames.

I eventually found a workaround: use -noaspect.
I noticed that the number of frames processed correspond to 50fps instead of
25 fps (I hope this might give you a clue of the cause), but the result was
very good this time.

Question: is there any reason not to use -noaspect when mencoding a dvd?