[MPlayer-users] making simple movies

Sun Jan 12 13:01:57 CET 2003

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Chittaranjan Mandal wrote:

CM>Can a feature be added to mencoder be enable easy creation of
CM>movies uisng a combination the following:
CM>Picture source:
CM>  Still images from a window

Just capture window and get image, then encode as usual ;)

CM> or image file

It's done... rtfm 'man mencoder', then look at DOCS/encodings.html

CM>  Animated image from a window

I'm not sure if it is possible... Maybe using fake X server...

CM> or image file

from animated gifs, huh? Not sure...

CM>Sound source:
CM>  Audio stream (from sound card)

make fifo, then record into it from one process and use it as input
stream in mencoder. Don't forget compression using oggenc or lame if you
use -audiofile

CM>  Sound file

That's -audiofile for that!

CM>This is in addition to video stream from tv tuner card or other
CM>sources.

Btw, look at transcode. It's very good (still command line only, sigh)
encoder, which supports lot of encoding formats (mencoder is still stuck
with, for example, mpeg2) and options. I don't like its interface
comparing to mencoder's - still need to look docs for every new move,
while mencoder is much more intuitive, but i think it's more powerful.

--

Vladimir