[MPlayer-users] quick question about mencoder

Jeremy Brown jtbrown at utk.edu
Mon Jan 13 01:25:58 CET 2003

Hey guys,

I've been trying to use mencoder to convert some of my mpg files to divx
format to conserve a bit of space.  I do this with the command:

mencoder -oac mp3lame -ovc divxf -o output.avi input.mpg

Two things I've noticed but can't put my finger on:

1) The resulting AVI file always seems to have a slightly incorrect
aspect ratio.  Usually it's not very noticeable, but the height is a
little bit smaller than it was in the mpg file (maybe an inch or less
smaller on my 19" monitor).

2) The sound seems to be a little bit off...the sound is early with
respect to the video.  I've compiled the newest version of LAME to make
sure that I wasn't dealing with a problematic LAME library, but that
didn't fix the problem.

I'm using the newest version of MPlayer (the 0.90 release candidate 2).

Any help would be much appreciated!

-- Jeremy