[MPlayer-users] xvid and divx encoding wth mencoder

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ees2.oulu.fi
Mon Jan 13 15:40:43 CET 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, dídac valenciano gener wrote:

>So, wich is better for encoding? XviD? divx from www.divx.com version for
>linux? or opendivx?

I made some benchmarking of different encoders, althought I tried only
those that come with MPlayer in libavcodec. The result is that h263p has
the best image quality, but mpeg4 is almost as good but a lot faster.
I also tried Opendivx encoder.

vcodec		PSNR	AVI size
------		----	--------
h263p		34.50	4556534
mpeg4		34.40	4711486
Opendivx	33.68	4640502
msmpeg4		33.63	4711726
mpeg1video	32.73	4728582
h263		32.39	4689524
rv10		32.39	4688674
mjpeg		31.12	5844016

The sequence is 352x288 sized "tourists", 30 frames per second, 912 frames.
I set the bitrate to 1 Mbps IIRC, but it seems to vary quite much in
practice.

I didn't use any fancy options, just the basic ones to select codec and
bitrate.