[MPlayer-users] -ss Does it work? Also bpp. Bunkus explain maybe?

Krister Lagerstrom krister at kmlager.com
Mon Jan 13 19:07:53 CET 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> I'm not thinking too straight right now though so I won't try to work
> out how to correct aspect, scale down proportionately, and keep width
> and height multiples of 16 right now. Hopefully someone else will post
> a reply or I'll feel more logical later.

It is a little tricky. Here is a tiny python app that runs mplayer with
cropdetect on the DVD and tries to figure out the crop and scale
parameters. I've just written it and only tested it a few times, so
please double-check the results and let me know if there any problems
(it might be doing something braindead :-).

It is intended to crop out the black borders and as many of the lines
that can fit in an even multiple of 16, but scale the width to keep the
aspect ratio so it can be played with any program. It could be fixed to
add a margin to the cropping as you suggested, to take multiple samples
of the DVD with cropdetect, and to scale both height and width if the
total number of pixels is too big for the bitrate.

To run the script, just save it and type "python dvd_cropscale.py".
I've only tried it with python 2.2, you might have to use python2 on
Red Hat.

		/ Krister