[MPlayer-users] Re: My System Is Too Slow

Sakari Aaltonen sakari at aplac.hut.fi
Tue Jan 14 11:24:53 CET 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Patrick Debois wrote:

> >I'm having great difficulties with MPlayer 0.90rc2-2.95.3 in
> >that it keeps saying my system is too slow. I have a 1100MHz
> >processor (Athlon XP1400) and an nVidia GeForce2 graphics
> >card, which I thought would be fast enough. I also have both
> >XShm and Xvideo enabled (XFree86 4.2.0.) The sound is ALSA/OSS
> >0.9. But it's not enough for MPlayer.

> What driver are you using for XFree?
> The one that comes with XFree itself  (Driver=nv)
> or the binary distributed one of Nvidia itself. (Driver=nvidia)
>
> In the first one, you will find in your Xf86Config that Xvideo is enabled.
> But does not work....
>
> If you install the one from Nvidia itself, that the option is disabled in
> the XF86Config file, but it works ;-)

The first thing I did when I bought the card 10 days ago was to install
the nVidia driver - I didn't even know there was an XFree86 one.

But I don't understand your saying I will "find" something in my
XF86Config. Do you mean /etc/X11/XF86Config?  The nVidia installation
didn't change that file in any way, at least not automatically; that is,
it didn't enable or disable anything. Should it have? Or do you mean some
other file?

I edited /etc/X11/XF86Config myself according to instructions in
the nVidia PDF documentation...

Sakari Aaltonen