[MPlayer-users] mencoder options for NTSC television

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Tue Jan 14 18:40:57 CET 2003

Lance Simmons wrote:

>3. postprocessing:  what kind of postprocessing is best?  How do I
>decide whether to crop or not?  Where in the documentation is there a

Just look at the image and decide. If you see black pixels at the edges,
or some noise, by cropping them you allow the encoder using the
bandwidth for encoding something more important than this -- both noise
and sharp transition between bright and dark waste a lot of bandwidth.
Although if you use the video bitrate of 16kbps, you don't have to worry
about this issue ;)

>clear description of what the various postprocessing options do?  I'm
>using lb, because the documentation suggests it, but am open to
>suggestions.

IMO it's better to try them out than to read how exactly they work. Try
various deinterlacers and see how the image looks and decide which one
you like best.

--
Jindrich Makovicka