[MPlayer-users] help with *.vob encoding + seeking inside 1st VOB

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 14 18:52:08 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:52:07AM +0100, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 January 2003, Dark Avenger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the entire DVD contents dumped to HDD. Now I want to encode them
> > but not in multiple AVI's but one big one.
> >
> > Of course I have been reading the mailing lists + docs for hours, but I
> > can't figure it out.
>
> RTFM
> mencoder -dvd 1 -dvd-device /path/to/vobs/ -options...

Or don't extract the vobs to begin with and use mencoder -dvd ... or
at least mplayer -dumpstream to get a single file to encode later.

> > Trying "cat *.vob | mencoder bla bla -"  does not seem to work. It only
> > takes the very first .vob as input and ignores the rest
> >
> > Also, assuming I'm doing something wrong (please tell me!!) and I get it
> > working, is there a way I can SEEK inside the 1st vob only!! (because it
> > contains a movie trailer I don't want)
>
> RTFM (-ss hh:mm:ss)

Seeking to time does not work with NTSC DVD's because of broken
telecine crap. Use -chapter instead to split movies. This is much
better anyway because you don't cut it right in the middle of a scene
like some fools do.

Rich