[MPlayer-users] mencoder: "duplicate 1 frame(s)!!!"?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 14 19:00:05 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 04:57:47PM +0100, Stefan Recksiegel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > I'll try capturing some long files without rgb24 and encode them with
> > > lavc and see if I still get the "duplicate frame" thing.
> >
> > hm. lavc is as bad as, if not worse than, divx4 when it comes to the
> > "duplicate frames" thing. Weird. CPU load is around 25-35% when I
> > capture and transfer to the HD doesn't appear to get anywhere near
> > topping out either, so I don't get it.
>
> I am surprised that it happens with captured data, but I think with
> movies that went through a telecine process this is quite normal,
> isn't it ? I have always seen this when compressing movie DVDs to
> divx, never gave me any problems, though. Are you sure those frames
> don't come as duplicates from the source ?

My guess is that they are duplicate frames from the source, like you
say. Be sure that the fps=blah suboption to -tv is set correctly. If I
recall, you never mentioned which TV capture card you're using, but I
bet some of them only capture at the real framerate (29.97 fps for
NTSC, 25 for PAL), and the default is 30 fps, so some frames will fail
to capture because there's no new video yet. So try with -tv fps=29.97
and let me know if it works.

Rich