[MPlayer-users] mencoder: "duplicate 1 frame(s)!!!"?

ras2 shrike at get2net.dk
Tue Jan 14 19:30:58 CET 2003

On 2003-01-14 at 16:57:47 +0100, Stefan Recksiegel
 <sr at particle.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> > hm. lavc is as bad as, if not worse than, divx4 when it comes to the
> > "duplicate frames" thing. Weird. CPU load is around 25-35% when I
> > capture and transfer to the HD doesn't appear to get anywhere near
> > topping out either, so I don't get it.
>
> I am surprised that it happens with captured data, but I think with
> movies that went through a telecine process this is quite normal,
> isn't it ?

I wouldn't expect so, but I don't really know.

> I have always seen this when compressing movie DVDs to
> divx, never gave me any problems, though.

I don't think it can be the same problem then. Not unless you're very
tolerant, at least; it looks pretty poor (more like skipped frames
than duplicate ones).

> Are you sure those frames don't come as duplicates from the source ?

No, but they're clearly using digital equipment so I would expect
there to be some sort of error correction to avoid such problems.
It's not visible when watching the program on the TV either.

For today's episode of Buffy, I tried using the -noskip option
and when I re-encoded the file, I didn't get any 'duplicate frames'
messages, but the audio went completely out of sync in the first
few minutes of the show. So that didn't get me anywhere.
Don't know what else to try.

-R.