[MPlayer-users] converted VOB->AVI,now want to go back? plz help

Dark Avenger adonis at linuxmail.org
Wed Jan 15 16:17:45 CET 2003

Hi, in a desparate attempt to cut some crap from a VOB
(because I did RTFM but neither -ss x:xx:xx, nor
-chapter X  worked for skipping into a VOB), I did
this: mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy file.vob -o
file.avi  && mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -ss 0:10:00
file.avi final.avi

Now, I realize that cat *.vob |mencoder bla bla -
won't work with this AVI, and I'd like to move the
contents of the AVI (which should be the mpeg2 vid
stream and the ac3 audio track (1 unlike the other
vob's which have 5), back into an VOB format so I can
encode the movie with cat *.vob

Can someone help me figure out how to do this? I can't
get the -dumpstream options to work, and even if they
do I don't know how useful they would be.

I have also tried: mplayer -vo mpegpes final.avi which
results in grabbed.mpg.  Could I possibly attach the
AC3 stream (from finaly.avi) to this .mpeg so I can
end up with a .VOB ?

Any info would be greatful, thanks in advance

PS:

Dominik Mierzejewski: thanks for the response. All I
have been doing is RTFM's! That does not mean that
they make sense all the time of course. I did try -ss
x:xx:xx and it didn't work at all because I think it
won't work when cat *.vob, as it's a pipe and I don't
think it works with pipes. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong

Also this didn't work for me either:  mencoder -dvd 1
-dvd-device /path/to/vobs/ -options...

Thanks again