[MPlayer-users] Playing a DVD from the Hard Drive

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jan 15 23:09:41 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 01:26:20PM -0800, usenet at wingert.org wrote:
> I vobcopy'ed a DVD onto my hard drive.  Is there a way to make mplayer player
> this as a dvd (ie mplayer -dvd 1 /dvd/moviename).  I used mplayer VTS_1_*.VOB,
> but it is not the same.

Answer #1. This is the WRONG WAY to copy a DVD. Instead use mplayer
-dvd 1 -dumpstream to dump the whole thing to one big file, or
the play_title tool from libdvdread.

Answer #2. It might work with mplayer -dvd 1 -dvd-device
/path/to/vobs.

Answer #3. But it might not if the junky program you used to copy the
vobs left them encrypted. In that case you need to figure out the
title keys, install libcss (which is deprecated), and use the -dvdkey
option with mplayer.

Rich