[MPlayer-users] mencoder options for NTSC television

Lance Simmons lance at lsimmons.net
Fri Jan 17 15:41:11 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 01:16:47PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:20:58AM -0600, Lance Simmons wrote:
> >
> > But can't I do _better_?
>
> Yes, you can. At such a high bitrate you're going to want to re-encode
> to a smaller file later anyway, so here's what I would do:

Thanks! That's very helpful information.  The results are impressive.

The one thing I'm still not sure about is the resolution I should use.
You suggest 640x480.  Why?  What's the relationship between the NTSC
standard and the resolution one chooses?

I guess this is a general question, not really about mencoder -- I
wonder if there's something somewhere online I could read that explains
this in more (but still non-technical) detail.

--
Lance Simmons
lance at lsimmons.net