[MPlayer-users] mencoder options for NTSC television

Lance Simmons lance at lsimmons.net
Fri Jan 17 21:54:27 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:23:01AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 08:41:11AM -0600, Lance Simmons wrote:
> >
> > The one thing I'm still not sure about is the resolution I should use.
> > You suggest 640x480.  Why?  What's the relationship between the NTSC
> > standard and the resolution one chooses?
>
> NTSC has 480 lines (visible), and 640 is the corresponding width that
> will give you square pixels for a 4:3 aspect picture.

After I've cropped it to get rid of the black sections, it ends up being
less than 640x480.  Should I resize the original capture to be larger so
that the cropped version ends up being 640x480?  It sounds like I
shouldn't, at least not for height, since 480 is crucial.

So do I understand correctly that the end result of the two-step
procedure you describe will always be less than 640x480?

--
Lance Simmons
lance at lsimmons.net