[MPlayer-users] Audio Lag and Index Problem

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jan 18 08:07:53 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:24:15PM -0500, Oliver Strutynski wrote:

> Ok, so I experimented with fps and ofps without success - the same with
> another DVD. Here's what I found out however: Even when I abort the encoding
> process after a few seconds, both DVDs show a time difference of roughly .5
> seconds (.5 for the first DVD, .4 for the second). So it seems the lag is
> already introduced at the beginning of the movie and not gradually.
>
> Is there a way to avoid this, eg s.th. like -ss 0 and -audioss 1 to just skipi
> the first half a second of audio? Can I manually remove the first audio
> frames from the encoded audio and then do a three-pass encoding with the
> edited audio file? How would I do that?

One thing that might work is using the delay audio filter (-af
delay=...). Read the manual and see if you can make it do what you
want. Another method that will definitely work is dumping the mp3
audio track out of the movie after you encode, cutting off the right
number of bytes from the beginning, and remuxing with

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -mc 0 movie.avi -audiofile audio.mp3

However getting it exactly right can be tricky.

Rich