[MPlayer-users] smaller file size after mencoder recoding - why?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jan 18 10:49:08 CET 2003

Hi,

> > You should find file_.avi and file__.avi identical, so mencoder isn't
> > losing frames or something. Most likely the program used to encode the
> > original file.avi just sucked. I've been able to recover over 10 megs

they didn't really sucked, just aren't optimal...
at least mencoder tends to pack audio chunks better (anyway you can
change it with -audio-density) and doesn't loses many bytes on useless
2k padding (avi 1.0 spec suggested 2048 byte padding of blocks, later
versions suggested only 2 byte alignment:))

and since it doesn't support opendml, it don't have to write index (few MBs)
twice...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team