[MPlayer-users] Sb Live 5.1 usage

Mathias Gygax mg at trash.net
Sat Jan 18 17:08:59 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 04:53:18PM -0000, Luis.F.Correia wrote:

hi luis,

> How should i call mplayer to get 5.1 surround sound from my sb live 5.1?
> Thanks

i use this card with mplayer.

one question: do you use alsa or oss (emu10k1) drivers? with alsa it
didn't work properly. the routing of the channels was a mess and ugly
documented. i fiddled around with alsamixer but didn't get a satisfing
result. it should work, but i guess i'm too dumb to get it working
properly :-/

so i stick with the oss drivers (emu10k1) and used the oss audio output
of mplayer. playing mp3 encoded audio is now a more-better stereo
output with stereo rear channels. didn't try it with AC3 audio, which
should encode all of the 5.1 channels.

for setting up your sblive 5.1 soundcard with oss, see the
documentation, scripts and drivers from
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1/

use the emu-tools for setting up the correct routing of channels for
your card. it comes with a properly documented config script. this is
already packaged for mandrake (which i use on this machine). my brother
suggested to use the CVS version.

> (yeah, yeah, I know RTFM, but i did and found no clues...)

don't worry. i had to ask my brother for some expertise. it's all badly
documented. but be sure to read the manuals on the above url, so with
some help and fiddling around, now it finally works. i still don't get
right mixed output on the front-right speaker, but with my setup and
locations of speakers, i used to reconnect some of the channels and now
have a satisfing result.

HTH

(greets go to attila! keep up your great work!)

 - regards, turrican