[MPlayer-users] Playing DVD with hwac3: very low framerate

Marc Packenius marc at freenet-rz.de
Sat Jan 18 19:06:02 CET 2003

Me again,

I checked the man page, the FAQ and the mailing list search, please
pardon if it's in there somewhere and I still missed it...

I'm trying to play a DVD in Dolby Surround using the SPDIF output of a
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 which is connected to a Thompson Cheapo 5.1
amplifier.

This is what I came up with after checking all the sources (complete
line I'm using, I did not remove the options that seemed irrelevant to
the AC5 audio stuff):

  mplayer -vm -fbmode PAL -cache 16384
    -vop expand=$WIDTH:$HEIGHT,scale=$WIDTH:-2 -sws 2 -alang en,de -bpp 32
    -double -menu -autosync 30 -ao oss -ac hwac3 -vo fbdev -fb $FRAMEBUFFER
    -fixed-vo -aid 128 -v -dvd 1

Using these options (after 'emu-script' did some setup magic) I do get
perfect Dolby Surround 5.1 sound - but the video frame rate seems to be
about 3 frames per second while audio is playing. When the audio stream
ends, I get these messages:

--- END OF CELL !!! --- 0,051 ct:  0,012    4/  4   0%  0%  0,0% 4 0 51%
dvd_next_cell: next1=0x0
dvd_next_cell: next2=0x0
dvd_next_cell: next3=0x1
DVD next cell: 1  pack: 0x158E-0x10E4C
A: -17,0 V:   2,4 A-V:-19,477 ct:  0,057   58/ 58  14% 52%  6,0% 58 0 47%
Too many video packets in the buffer: (4096 in 8251447 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: audio)
a52: CRC check failed!
A: -15,5 V:   3,8 A-V:-19,355 ct: -0,083   93/ 93  16% 52%  3,7% 58 0 49%

Video resumed as normal speed (I think even faster than normal, to catch
up), when audio has ended, then I get that "no way, mate, you need a
reality check: today's PCs are not made for multimedia applications,
wait another decade or get a decent hardware platform" message (I think
the words are slightly different, it might involve something like 'TOO
SLOW') and the next chapter of the movie doesn't have any audio.

Is there anything obvious I am missing? Hardware problem? Any options I
forgot (or forgot to remove)?

Thanks for your help,
--
Marc Packenius @ 4P | Zentrale Seitenauslieferung, Düsseldorf

2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by a human being,
   except where that would conflict with the Zeroth or First Law.