[MPlayer-users] Playing a DVD from the Hard Drive

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Sun Jan 19 14:58:11 CET 2003

On 03.01.17 Haas Wernfried pressed the following keys:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:57:20AM +0100, Van Leer wrote:
> > By means of -dumpstream you will face the 2Gb file limit problem, or
> > probably it happens only on _my_ linux-box
> afaik, it depends on your file system and some other things. i had
> the same problem with my old suse 7.1 and reiserfs 3.5.x (i believe).
> if your distribution and filesystem (e.g. reiserfs 3.6.x) are quite up to
> date it's no problem.

Actually all modern filesystems (ext2, ext3, raiser, xfs) don't have 2GB
limitation. The limitation is in kernel and glibc. You have to have the
2.4 kernel (or 2.2 with large file patches, which is not recommended),
_and_ glibc compiled with 2.4 kernel headers.

When you have this kernel and glibc installed, you can proceed to
recompilation of programs that need to have LFS support.

Unfortunatelly the support isn't always automatic and you have to
correct programs sometimes to make them work with large files (notorious
error is using int for offsets instead of off_t).

Best bet is to use quite new Linux distribution that already is properly
fixed by vendor.

Robert

PS. The glibc limitation is so serious, that even when you have 2.4
kernel installed and running, but the glibc was compiled with 2.2 the
program that only writes to file and never seeks receives SIGXFSZ when it
exceeds 2GB limit.

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35