[MPlayer-users] Playing DVD with hwac3: very low framerate

Ketil Z. Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Wed Jan 22 07:47:35 CET 2003

ketil at ii.uib.no (Ketil Z. Malde) writes:

>> I'm trying to play a DVD in Dolby Surround using the SPDIF output of a
>> Soundblaster Live! 5.1 which is connected to a Thompson Cheapo 5.1
>> amplifier.

>> Using these options (after 'emu-script' did some setup magic) I do get
>> perfect Dolby Surround 5.1 sound - but the video frame rate seems to be
>> about 3 frames per second while audio is playing. When the audio stream
>> ends, I get these messages:

> I experience the same thing (more or less), with the latest (as of a
> week ago) OSS driver snapshot from SourceForge.  I get beautiful AC3
> sound -- but extremely slow video -- for a short while, and then an
> error message, and sound is turned off.  Happens with -vo null as
> well.  No noticeable CPU load.

Hmm...the interesting thing is that setting the
audio.something.ac52.passthrough:1 in xine's config makes it work
almost perfectly.  All right, there's a short noise at the start of an
ac3 stream, but I still end up preferring Xine for watching DVDs.

So I'm not sure that it's obvious that it's a driver problem.

-kzm (who just had to see a selection of scenes from Matrix last night)