[MPlayer-users] [somewhat OT] GNU/Linux Media Player Roundup

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Thu Jan 23 13:43:43 CET 2003

Yes, eg I've already read it. However it's quite wrong:

* mplayer is GPL now ...
  [so there're RPMs and other packages as well: easy to install :)]
* mplayer is easy to install, if you want only the "common" features
  even from source (configure -> make -> make install).
* mplayer has got a GUI, which is not suitable for EVERYTHING which can be
  done with command line, but IMHO it can be compared with GUIs of other
  players ... And even mplayer has got the most advanced GUI skin ability
  I think ...

Probably someone should contant the author of that review about this facts ...

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 01:30:21PM +0100, Remco B. Brink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quote form the article is remarkably positive actually:
>
>   Mplayer - http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/
>
>   This Mediaplayer is one of the more advanced players available. But
>   unfortunately, it can be difficult to install I am going to leave it
>   out of this review. Suffice to say if you want features and the best
>   possible performance and don't mind reading howto's, this is probably
>   the media player solution for you. But be warned, getting it installed
>   can be more that what new Linux users can handle.
>
>   Mplayer is distributed as "source only" for performance, legal and
>   l337ness reasons.

> --
>    Remco B. Brink -- Information Systems Developer, Opera Software ASA
> Personal site at http://rc6.org - PGP/GnuPG key at http://rc6.org/rbb.pgp
>
> "Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you."

- Gábor (larta'H)