[MPlayer-users] Re: help w/ encoding an avi file from sequence of .png files

Frederick Bruckman fredb at immanent.net
Sat Jan 25 23:33:23 CET 2003

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>  :: On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Dean S. Messing wrote:
>  ::
>  :: >   => mencoder *.png -mf on:w=325:h=407:fps=15:type=png -ovc rawrgb -o output.avi

> But I can't get it to play either with MPlayer or with Windoze Media
> player.  The latter is (unfortunately) more important because I must
> send this experimental sequence to my counterparts in Corporate
> Headquarters.  They are all Windoze Weenies.

I just tried some quick tests with -mf on:type=png, and the resulting
files were unplayable for me, too. I seem to remember now, from the
last time I managed to create a "slideshow" with mplayer, that it only
works with jpegs. Also, you need to make sure all the input files have
exactly the same dimensions, or it runs off the rails. What I ended up
doing was re-scaling with ImageMagick to very high quality (and very
large) jpegs, and encoding with "mplayer ... -ovc lavc" and the
resulting avi came out looking pretty good -- the paused mplayer
window is essentially indistinguishable from the original jpegs,
as viewed with ImageMagick.

I built against png-1.2.5, so maybe that works for someone else.
("mplayer -vo png" works fine.)

Frederick