[MPlayer-users] can't find -npp lb in man pages

christopher j bottaro cjb at cs.utexas.edu
Sun Jan 26 03:00:37 CET 2003

Rich,
ok, i'll try to do the pausing thing.

but also, i just tried them on my roommates computer.  he has winxp and a
geforce3 card with tv out.  i hooked his computer up to the living room tv,
and used tvtool to play the divx's on the tv.  they played PERFECTLY.  we had
guests over and they couldn't believe it wasn't dvd.  i couldn't even believe
it.  the divx's were encoded with mencoder of course, but were being played
back with the divx codec from www.divx.com (using windows media player).
hats off to mencoder for making such incredible quality divx's.

but now back to my playback problem.  i want the same kinda quality but
without having to boot to windows...=(  because it played back so well using
the winxp environment, it leads me to believe that my problem of the
horizontal lines and slightly off color is due to mplayer and/or the nvidia
linux drivers and i can rule out the possiblity of it being an encoding
problem.

to answer your question, when i start mplayer sending output to tv, it says:
vo: X11 running at 800x600 with depth 16 and 16 bpp (":0.1" => local display)
VO: [xv] 638x413 => 638x413 Planar YV12  [fs]

i honestly have no idea what that means.  when i play it on my crt it says:
vo: X11 running at 1152x864 with depth 16 and 16 bpp (":0.0" => local display)
VO: [xv] 638x413 => 638x413 Planar YV12

it seems exactly the same except for the resolution.  but something is
different, because when i'm sending it to the tv, it doesn't let me adjust
the brightness/hue/saturation/etc.  why is that?

thanks a ton for the help,
-- christopher

P.S.  my tv emits a buzzing/humming noise when it is displaying stuff from my
computer.  does that have to do with my vert and horz refresh rate?  i'm
using the ones recommended for a tv...i think its
60 vert
30-50 horz
my tv is like a 3 year old samsung, 27''
thanks again.