[MPlayer-users] 0.90rc3 Success...one last question

Kevin Collins kcollins at qx.net
Sun Jan 26 19:32:49 CET 2003

Hey List...

I finally was able to get rc3 compiled from source. (wooohoo Yeah for
me! :-) )

Now that I know what I did to make it work properly, I want to make a
public apology for being so lame and ranting over the last couple of
weeks...Apri was right, if I would have *read* the docs, I would not
have had so much trouble.  (BTW, if there are any SuSE newbies on the
list that want a HOWTO for compiling MPlayer 0.90RC3 on 8.1 Pro, let me
know, I'll e-mail you what I did.)

Now that I have it working, I've got one minor thing to ask about.  It's
nothing really, but it struck me as odd.

I am watching the Episode II DVD (looks great full screen on a 21"
monitor, btw).  Everytime that the "aliens" speak, there is supposed to
be a translation in a sub-title.  I don't see those.

Is this part of the OSD?  Do they require True Type Fonts to work?  If
so, that may be my problem, because I didn't have freetype installed at
compile-time (still don't).  I'm using the non-ttf fonts right now and I
*can* see the timer/volume level, etc.  I can even turn-on the subtitles
from the DVD menu and see the various language translations from the
disc.

Anone else having this problem?  Anyone know how I can get these
sub-titles to appear?

BTW, as in the past, I used the simple "./configure --enable-gui" to
build MPlayer, if that helps.

- Kevin L. Collins, MCSE                     Reqistered Linux
User:268269
-                                            http://counter.li.org
SuSE Linux 8.1 Pro
"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies
the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry
penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph.  They'd be a lot more
careful about what they say if they had."
--Linus Torvalds, announcing Linux v2.0