[MPlayer-users] -ss in DVD broken ?

Fabien Perdu fabien.perdu at m4x.org
Mon Jan 27 15:45:59 CET 2003

> OK, -ss does NOT work with NTSC DVD's because of telecine brain damage
> confusing the framerate. However, what you want to do is brain damaged
> too. Just cutting at an arbitrary time like 4000 seconds will probably
> split CD's right during a scene and make watching the movie painful.
> (Get up, switch CD's, restart player -- right while someone is
> talking! -- bleh!!)

Well, that was not my aim.
Due to the noise of my CD drive, I copy the film on the hard disk before
watching it. Then mplayer CD1.avi CD2.avi.

> Instead, you should use -chapter. For example, encode the first CD
> with -chapter 1-9 and the second with -chapter 10-18 (assuming 18
> chapters total). You might tweak the numbers depending on the lengths
> and amount of action in the chapters.

OK, I will use this solution. Thank you for your answer.

Is it the same reason the makes midentify report ID_LENGTH=6720 while the
real length of the movie is 8660s ? And is there a way of getting this
length other than reading it on the DVD box ?