[MPlayer-users] -ss in DVD broken ?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Jan 27 21:41:36 CET 2003

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 09:24:54PM +0300, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> DRFI>However, cdrom noise should not be a problem. Go grab cdctl
> DRFI>(http://cdctl.sf.net) and run cdctl -b5 to set your cdrom down to 5x
>
> Hmm... hdparm will work fine too and it is included in lot of linux
> distributions.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that. hdparm didn't always have that feature
so I'm used to using cdctl.

> DRFI>and it should be silent. Note that you normally have to do this every
> DRFI>time you switch media, but it's still VERY nice!
>
> No need to do every time; you can use "speed" mount option, like
> sudo mount /mnt/cdrom -o speed=4
> Or place something like this into /etc/fstab
> This works much better then hdparm at least for my drive - hdparm sets
> speed once, but after some timeout cdrom drops this setting and is
> working on his own. Mount option controls speed always.

Wow, nice, I'll have to try this! Unfortunately mount options won't
affect playing dvd/vcd in mplayer. I'll have to add a feature to
mplayer to set the cdrom speed automatically and then everything will
work great!

Rich