[MPlayer-users] mplayer & console @fb

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 28 07:52:25 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 03:16:14PM +0900, Maximo Ramos wrote:

> 	Asunto: Re: [MPlayer-users] mplayer & console @fb
> 	Fecha: Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 09:37:42PM +0100
>
> Time to reply!
>
> Citando a  Eduard Hein (ehein at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE):
>
> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 09:34:36PM +0200, Alexander Tsybulsky wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > Hi All !
> > >
> > > Can I watch something with mplayer and work in console simultaneously ?
> > > And how ?
> >
> > http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/images/shot25.jpg
> >
> > You need menu-support enabled at compile-time.
>
> Perhaps he meant to watch something with the movie in the upper-right corner, not
> in the center (the default) and then switch to other console and do other stuff
>
> I have fb 1024x768 and -vo mga .... mplayer shows up the movie in the center, which
> is something normal and desirable ...
>
> However, from time to time you want to watch something and do something else in your
> console ...
>
> So, is there any trick for that? without knowing the actual size of the movie, of course!

If it's no longer broken, -geometry should work. Try something like
-geometry -0+0. However, keep in mind that if you display fbcon
mplayer on top of your other work, scrolling may do funny things. :)
This can be avoided for the most part by setting vyres==yres with
fbset, but that will slow down your scrolling a good bit.

Of course you won't have this problem with mga_vid, but it doesn't
support -geometry right now. I guess you could restrict it to the
upper left corner of the screen with something like -screenw 320
-screenh 240 or whatever...but that's not quite as nice. I'd be happy
to commit a patch for geometry support in mga, but only if it doesn't
break other stuff! So far no one has bothered to work on it though,
and I don't really care that much to do it myself.

Rich