[MPlayer-users] Matrox G450 accel TV-out (finally possible: read on)

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Tue Jan 28 19:37:44 CET 2003

On 03.01.27 Jon Ĺslund pressed the following keys:

> > Then you have window with video on your X desktop and on your TV. Scale is
> > necessary because hardware scaling does not work for TV.
> >
> > Only one bad thing - TV picture permanently moves up. Is anybody know what
> > can I do with this bug?
>
> You might want to try with directfb which now has accelerated support
> for G450/G550, and according to this README file it should just work
> out of the box. Very interested to hear the results.

I just checked it (-vo dfbmga with DirectFB 0.9.16)

Well, it works. It is butt-ugly, but it finally makes accelerated video
on g450 tvout. It does this by routing crt1 output to crt2tv (in order
to avoid problem with missing BES on crt2), so when you watch movie via
this driver there is no picture on the monitor. Well, that's what I
suppose after quick look at the sources.

And it is full of nasty bugs:

1. When you compile kernel with vsync userspace support, starting X
freezes my computer hard. But sometimes not. (tested on my 2.4.19 and
2.4.20)

2. Even with with vsync compiled in I haven't found a way to force it.
And it wasn't even tearing artifacts that you can see when playing video
scaled by software to high resolution (like 1280x1024 or more) on
unaccelerated framebuffer. It looks much worse (like distorted VHS
tape?).

3. What's very weird is that when you set up best possible options (dfb:
default or vsync-after; mplayer -cache 64000 -double) the artifacts are
much worse than with worst options (dfb: vsync-none, mplayer -nodouble
-nocache). In the latter case video is ok most of the time.

You need DirectFB 0.9.16 for all these goodies.

The good news is that there is GPL-ed source with everything one needs to
write code for -vo mga accelerated tvout on g450/g550.

Robert

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35