[MPlayer-users] silly question: where to get divx4?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Jan 29 03:02:21 CET 2003

Sometime in January D Richard Felker III assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
| On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 09:37:36PM -0500, John Harrold wrote:
| > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
|
| > howdy.
| >
| > i'm looking to reencode some stuff into divx4. i'm running redhat 7.3 and
| > i believe i've installed the rpms located here:
| > http://mirrors.sctpc.com/dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
| >
| > i've installed
| >  o mplayer-common
| >  o mplayer
| >  o all of the linux and win32 codecs
| >  o mencoder
| >
| > anyway. if someone could point me to a place where i could download a
| > package or tarball i would be most appreciative.
|
| The answer is, don't. Use libavcodec to encode mpeg4, which is the
| same format "divx" uses; they just call it "divx" to sound elite.

when i used this codec it screwed up the resolution. the doc's say to use
divx4 because it will preserve this information. that's the reason i was
trying to get divx4 to work.

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17+maps at pitt.edu   |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E
--Henry David Thoreau

wickets of mass distruction (wmd)
http://www.cricketworldcup.com/