[MPlayer-users] Re: help w/ encoding an avi file from sequence of .png

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Wed Jan 29 03:07:45 CET 2003

Balatoni Denes writes:

 :: > Ok. Png it is.  Except that I've yet to get Mencoder to
 :: > encode a .png sequence to .avi so I can play it.
 :: > I presume that's what you are suggesting.  If not, please clarify.
 :: > (I'm still an rank beginner w.r.t. Mplayer/Mencoder.)
 ::
 :: I tried this :
 :: mencoder \*.png -mf on:type=png:fps=25 -ovc rawrgb -o mfteszt.avi
 ::
 :: and it created mfteszt.avi
 :: then I tried:
 :: mplayer -speed 0.4 mfteszt.avi

That's great.  But in my case, my .png files are of size
325x407.  And when I use the above mencoder line, they get
encoded at CIF size (352x288) even though Mencoder says

   Writing AVI header...
   VDec: vo config request - 325 x 407 (preferred csp: BGR 24-bit)

If I explicitly include the width and height on the
command line:

mencoder \*.png -mf on:type=png:w=325:h=407:fps=25 -ovc rawrgb -o mfteszt.avi

the .avi file becomes unplayable either by MPlayer or
Windows Media Player.  Please see any message with .png in
the header for the entire thread on this.

 :: and it played it back with the speed I liked
 ::
 :: Has this already been ruled out as not supported by windows? (i am sure
 :: there are windows players that can play this)
 ::
 ::
 :: > I presume that Mplayer will load the 4 or 5 Gig sequence into memeory
 :: > and play it from there?  Or can it keep up with the framerate off of
 :: > disk.
 ::
 :: With a big enough -cache imho it can buffer it in mem - I never tried though
 :: :)
 ::
 :: bye
 :: Denes