[MPlayer-users] how to detect VBR/CBR/ABR audio in AVI?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jan 29 15:07:45 CET 2003

> I have a question:
> How can I (with mplayer if possible) detect
> if an AVI contains VBR, CBR or ABR mpeg-layer3
> audio stream? is it coded in "-v" somwhere
> in "stream header" as any bit/number..?

CBR vs. ABR/VBR yes, but not a single bit, but the relationship of several
streaming parameters. esp. SampleSize, dwScale, nBlockAlign and nAvgBytesPerSec

no way to make diff. between ABR and VBR, unless you do some fuzzy logic
over the whole audio stream. since ABR is actually short-term VBR.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

    "However, many people beg for its inclusion in Debian. Why?" - Gabucino
  "Because having new software in Debian is good." - Josselin Mouette
"Because having good software in Debian is new." - Gabucino