[MPlayer-users] The future of mplayer

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Jan 29 16:14:06 CET 2003

On Wednesday, 29 January 2003, Ketil Z. Malde wrote:
[...]
> Why couldn't a binary distribution just ship with as many
> modules (codecs) as possible?

Bad idea. It'd force users to install too many useless libs.
With current architecture, the best we can do is to ship binaries
that have the most widely used functions and let those who want
more compile it themselves.
And this approach seems to work. At least I haven't had many feature
requests since I started maintaining the RPMs. I think there were 3 or 4,
and 2 of those were accepted.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/