[MPlayer-users] Mplayer and Alsa 0.9 pre 5/6 and locking of devices

Steven Ellis pinguellis at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 01:23:21 CET 2003

Has anyone else experienced some problems using
MPLayer with ALSA sound.

For example if I watch a video using Mplayer it
doesn't always give up a lock on the sound device it
uses (/dev/audio?) which means other sound apps can't
work.

Usually this means apps like xmms hang, although using
grip to play a CD does work.

The worst problem is the bloody flash plugin. If I hit
a flash webpage after using mplayer i'm locked out of
the browser. I usually have to drop root and reload
the alsa support using the init.d script. Then things
work again.

FYI - RH 7.2 on a Athlon 2k+, 7VAXP Mb with onboard
6ch sound.

Steve

=====
--
If you listen very carefully you can sometimes hear the dolphins sing

pinguellis at yahoo.co.uk