[MPlayer-users] bmovl (error reading commands) ?

Jonas Jensen jbj at knef.dk
Thu Jan 30 09:14:37 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 06:03, Dennis Heinz wrote:
> i'm want to use the bmovl filter, but it doesn't work. I alway get an error::
> vf_bmovl: error reading commands: illegal seek

The lovely thing about problems with bmovl is that they can be easily
reproduced by replaying them. Try sending your commands to a file and
catting that file into the fifo later. If the bug is reproducable that
way you can upload the file somewhere so people on this list can look at
what you're doing wrong.

If the bug goes away when you redirect like this you probably have a
buffering problem. It's best to use your system write(2) to send
commands and data to bmovl rather than stdio or similar, because bmovl
is very primitive and fragile when reading, i.e. it reads the entire
bitmap in one read(2) call and doesn't check whether it actually read
the whole thing.

> i start mplayer with bmovl=0:0:filename and i use the fifo format
>
> "RGBA32 100 100 0 0 0 0
> <video data in 4 byte>"
>
> to show a 100x100 pix picture at xy 0/0

Looks fine, so you're probably doing something else wrong.

--
Jonas Jensen <jbj at knef.dk>