[MPlayer-users] sound sync problems with arts, oss fixes

97671059 at hermes.usherb.ca 97671059 at hermes.usherb.ca
Thu Jan 30 16:49:36 CET 2003

First - Thanks to all those who develope mplayer/mencoder.
It is VERY well documented.

I have noticed many comments on sound sync problems.  My experience may
help some:

I ripped my first dvd (The bourne identity) on linux. At first the sound
was completely out of sync!  - I got a lot of DUPLICATE FRAMES! while
encoding.  I read the documents and found I should be using -ofps 23.976
and maybe -mc 0 (not needed).  This helped a lot and only a few SKIPPED
or DUP FRAMES! appeared (like right at the begining of encoding).

PROBLEM WAS: on playback the audio was just ever so slightly out of sync!
ARG! Many tries, I tried just copying AC3 audio, MP3 CBR, VBR, pcm etc.

FINALLY I tried to play the encoded movie in XINE (vbr mp3, lavc) and it
worked fine! The audio was perfectly in sync on a windows machine as
well!  How could mencoder have made a movie playable by other players but
incorrectly played back on mplayer?!?!?!

I NOTICED that Xine used OSS for sound.  I did:
"mplayer -ao oss movie.avi" and the audio was perfectly in sync!  (I had
been using ARTS before).

So if you are having sound sync problems (and you think you are doing
everything "right") try switching your sound system ("mplayer -ao help").

Note that oss didn't always start with mplayer, sometimes it took a
couple tries ... don't know why.  When I searched "sound sync" problems on
this list I never came across anything mentioning this.

I am using an Athlon T-bird 800, Ensonic (1371 Audio Pci), Kde 3.0.1,
Redhat8, Geoforce 2 system.

Thanks