[MPlayer-users] Re: AC3 (via S/PDIF) passthrough on BSD

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Thu Jan 30 19:43:37 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 02:05:40AM -0000, Connxion UK wrote:

> What is the best video output method to use? what will get me the best picture quality?

I'm sure you'll have to judge that yourself for your particular hardware.

> Is it possible to do AC3 passthrough (using hwac3) on FreeBSD?

I have used it, but I haven't tried it in a while. You may have noticed
there was a bug in hwac3 that was recently fixed.

But, if it works, there's nothing to it. Plug and play. Well, maybe plug,
config and play, but same thing...

> i have a CMI8738 based card with optical/coaxial S/PDIF out. I really dont want
> to use linux, but that seems to be the only way I can run ALSA!

What's ALSA? Don't answer, but I see no reason for using it for hwac3,
in Linux or otherwise.